Post Conference Safari
Post Conference Safari – Pilanesberg National Park
SAGA 2022 – Post-Conference Safari
Departure Friday 2 December 2022
- 2 days, 2 nights
- A minimum of two guests are needed to run the tour
- Accommodation is at the beautiful Bakubung Lodge in the Pilanesberg National Reserve https://www.legacyhotels.co.za/hotels/Bakubung-Bush-Lodge
- Included: transfers (Sun City to Bakubung – Bakubung to OR Tambo International Airport), accommodation, breakfast and dinner, conservation fee and game drives (1 on Friday & 2 on Saturday)
- Excluded: lunch, drinks and gratuities
BAKUBUNG BUSH LODGE
Your home for the next two nights is Bakubung Bush Lodge situated in the famous Pilanesberg Game Reserve. This area is malaria-free. It is a mere 15-minute drive from Sun City, and it has some of the best game viewing in South Africa. I have no doubt your hosts will welcome you with open arms and make you feel right at home. Settle in before you go out on your first game drive. Drives are conducted in open vehicles with knowledgeable guides.
What to Bring?
- A good hat for the sun (the 4×4’s do not have a cover so you do get a lot of sun)
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- A comfy pair of shoes and neutral coloured clothing (bush walks are available to be booked should you like)
- Insect repellent and long trousers in the evening
- Warm clothing for your game drives. Jacket, beanie, and scarf. It can get cold on the back of an open vehicle
- Camera and binoculars
- A good book to read while you are relaxing in camp
If you feel that you would like to leave a gratuity for your guide, tracker, or staff at the lodge, then you are welcome to do so at your own discretion. It is common to leave a gratuity for your guide and tracker which can be given directly to them and should you wish to tip the camp staff please discuss this with your hosts in camp.
Bakubung Transfers will collect you at your hotel in Sun City around check out time approx. 11am. You will be transferred to Bakubung Bush Lodge, just a short distance from Sun City. You are free to explore the resort and have some lunch. If the numbers allow, the hotel will put on a buffet, alternatively you will be given an ala carte menu. Check in is usually around 2pm. Feel free to have a nap or explore the lodge further. Evening time brings the animals out to drink (and some to hunt). Hop on an open safari vehicle and enjoy a sunset game drive in the reserve, searching for all the animals on your bucket list of animals to see. On arrival back at the lodge, enjoy the sumptuous dinner prepared for you.
A day on safari goes like this –
You will rise early for your morning game drive. The game drives try to leave before sunrise to improve your chances of finding animals before the heat of the day. In the morning the wildlife is at its most active and you might get lucky to find a predator still moving about after its nightly activity.
The morning drive will bring you back to the lodge where you will enjoy brunch and have time to relax in camp during the middle of the day. Legacy Balance Spa is on site for a variety of spa treatments – so be sure to book in advance to ensure you get that extra pampering.
An afternoon drive will once again take you out to search for that elusive animal and continues back to camp after dark. The guides will use a spotlight during this evening drive to try and locate nocturnal mammals, as well as the predators that move around at night. You will be back in camp in time to freshen up before dinner. If weather permits, dinner will be in the Bush Boma.
Sadly, it’s your last day in camp. You are preparing to head back to the airport or other wonderful South African venues! You will be collected around check out time, which is 10am, and transported to OR Tambo which is approx. a 2.5-hour drive. If you are flying out of Johannesburg, please make sure to plan your departure flights around this checkout and OR Tambo arrival time.